- Heat a large frying pan and sauté the onion in ½ tbsp. of oil for 8 mins
- Add the chopped garlic and sauté for a further 2 minutes
- Transfer the onion mixture to an oven proof dish and spread evenly
- Layer with the aubergine, courgette and mushroom
- Pour over the tin of chopped tomatoes and sprinkle with the basil
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Take out of the oven, sprinkle the cheese over the dish and pop back in the oven for another 10 minutes until the cheese is melted.
Comforting Courgette and Aubergine Bake
My mum used to make this for me when I was poorly and it is the ultimate in nourishing comfort food. So simple, nutritious and perfect for a chilly winters night. Delicious served with a side of salad and fresh sourdough bread to soak up the juice.
Aubergines are rich in antioxidants, specifically nasunin found in aubergine skin - which gives it its purple colour. Courgettes provide good amounts of immune system-boosting vitamin C, and significant levels of potassium, which is key to controlling blood pressure.
- 1/2 tbsp of olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 garlic clove finely diced
- 1 small handful of chopped basil
- 1 aubergine sliced into rounds approx. ½ cm thick
- 1 large courgette sliced into rounds approx. 1/2cm thick
- 250g mushrooms (optional)
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 100g organic cheddar cheese